Upcoming 2020 Quarterly Meetings:
9/1/2020 - TBD
12/1/2020 - TBD
QUARTERLY MEETING - Second Quarter (6/23/2020)
Due to Covid19, the second quarterly meeting was held as an online event.
Prevent Diabetes Workgroup Overview – Lisa Taylor and Susan Simons
New Mexico Shared Strategic Plan Discussion: 2020 Priority Goals and A Virtual World Café Breakout Sharing Session John Linney, Executive Director, Impact Coaching and Speaking Inc., Impact Associates
Maria Otero, Executive Director NMCWHA and Co-Founder Nuestra Salud
- Increased cultural understanding about Hispanic families who have children with asthma.
- The Photovoice method.
- Identifying one environmental factor, one key stakeholder, and one key resource important to asthma control among Hispanic, Spanish-speaking New Mexico communities.
Population Health and Health Disparities - Frances E. Ashe-Goins, PhD (hon), MPH, BSN, RN, FAAN
- Population health has been defined as "the health outcomes of a group of individuals, including the distribution of such outcomes within the group".
- Population health is an art, process, science and a product of enhancing the health condition of a specific number of people within a given geographical area
- Population health as an art, simply means that it is geared towards equal health care delivery to an anticipated group of people in a particular geographical location
Health disparities are differences in the incidence, prevalence, and mortality of a disease and the related adverse health conditions that exist among specific population groups.
- These groups may be characterized by gender, age, race or ethnicity, education, income, social class, disability, geographic location, or sexual orientation.
- Multiple factors contribute to racial/ethnic health disparities such as socioeconomic factors, lifestyle behaviors, social environment, and access to preventive health-care services
QUARTERLY MEETING- First Quarter (3/31/2020) - (Due to Covid19, the first quarterly meeting was held as an online event.)
NMSSP Discussion - John Linney, Executive Director, Impact Coaching and Speaking Inc.
Prevention is Better Than A Cure - Dr. Ifeoma Achusim, Registered Nurse, Pharmacist, and Owner of Abundent Healthcare LLC
Overview: Coronavirus is a real threat as the number of infected cases continues to grow. Those with chronic health conditions including; heart disease, lung disease and diabetes are at higher risk of being infected more severely. How do we protect ourselves in this time of uncertainty?
Telemedicine in a Perfect Storm: COVID-19 and Chronic Disease - Dale Alverson, MD Founder of UNM Center for Telehealth and First Board Chair for the NM Telehealth Alliance
Overview: Review the concept of Telemedicine, discuss steps in operationalization and integration of telemedicine into healthcare services, determine how this is relevant to chronic disease prevention and management, as well as a state, national, and International perspective.
COVID-19 and The Department of Health – Thomas Massaro, MD, Department of Health
Overview: Learn what the Department of Health is doing during this pandemic and their plan of action for the future.
2019 Quarterly Meetings:
December 2019 "Community Program Updates"
- Tobacco Use Prevention and Control Program Data Update by James Padilla
- Building Healthy Military Communities (BHMC) Statewide Update by Valentina Livingston
- Spring Street Exchange - SDOH - Local and National Perspectives by Roci Gainey-Graham
- Atrisco Heritage High School, Evolvement Program by No Minor Sale Campaign
September 2019 "Social Determinants of Health"
Presentations and Trainings
- Indigenous Health Leadership Institute, Community Asset Mapping by Shannon Fleg
- Health Literacy Coalition by Audrey Riffenburgh and Kathryn Anderson
- Social Marketing Training by Chris Hollis
June 2019 "Social Determinants of Health"
- Ujima Behavioral Health: Collective Works and Responsibility - Making Space and Information a Community-Owned Asset by Kenneth Winfrey
- Comagine Health: Heart Disease and Stroke Workgroup Introduction by Edy Taylor
- American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network: Success! E-cigarettes Included in the Clean Indoor Air Law by Marissa Trujillo
2018 Quarterly Meetings:
“Strategies that Support and Reinforce Healthful Behaviors”
- Not Your Gramma’s Indicator: Evaluating Native Children’s Health
- An Indigenous Approach to Native American Children’s Health
- Preventing Chronic Disease at the Roundhouse: 2018 Legislative Preview
- Community Health Maps
June 2017 Quarterly Meeting – “Community-Clinical Linkages Enhancement”
December 2016 Quarterly Meeting – “Strategies that Support and Reinforce Healthful Behaviors”
September 2016 Quarterly Meeting – “Heath Systems Interventions”
March 2016 Quarterly Meeting – “Community-Clinical Linkages Enhancement”
June 2016 Quarterly Meeting – “Strategies that Support and Reinforce Healthful Behaviors”
December 2015 Quarterly Meeting – “Strategies that Support and Reinforce Healthful Behaviors”
September 2015 Quarterly Meeting – “Health Systems Interventions”
June 2015 Quarterly Meeting – First Annual Rural Health Conference Presentations
March 2015 Quarterly Meeting – Community-Clinical Linkages Workshop